Sunday, February 08, 2009

Oh God! Not him again!


Despite the fact that the Treaty of Lisbon (aka The European Constitution), which provides for a European president to be elected for (if I recall correctly) six years, has not been brought into effect because of the Irish 'No' vote, there is still a movement to get Tony Blair slotted into the post.

According to this report, Sarkozy is pushing his old friend forward.

More likely, they are both trying very hard to keep alive the chances of the Constitution actually being ratified by the Irish in a second vote in the autumn.

A 'yes' vote by the Irish would be a major disaster but Blair becoming the EU president would be the last straw. I cannot stand the idea of all those smug New Labourites feeding off my taxes.

4 comments:

subrosa said...

I cannot stand the idea either. I've joined the PANA to support them in their efforts for a no vote. What else can we do when we're not entitled a vote in the UK.

http://www.pana.ie/

Events dear boy, events said...

I have posted by own take on this story and linked to yours.

Maybe I should start reading the Mail on Sunday!

Good blog. I enjoy it.

Catosays said...

I just can not see the Irish voting 'Yes'.
They're not gullible and they know what's being done to bully them into a 'yes' vote.

Oldrightie said...

EU Presidency has been Blair's goal since 1998. How horrendous would that smirking sod be to have forced down our throats daily, AGAIN!
The Obama greeting was all about this, shoe-in methinks.